Welcome

Our mission is to serve God by creating a welcoming place for individuals and families where all can learn about the love of Jesus, the grace of God, and the power of the Holy Spirit.

Worship with Us

We invite you to join us for worship each Sunday morning at 11 am. for worship.  
Congregational contacts:  Roger & Ellie Crosby 705-656-4678

Sunday Worship Schedule:

Nov. 10 -COMMUNION SERVICE – Rev. Janet Stobie  “Remember Me Today”

Nov. 17 – Del Manary – “Are We There Yet?”

        24 – Rev. Dr. Mary Ann MacFarlane

  1. 1 – Ist Sunday in Advent  -Mary Kay

           8 – Rev. Janet Stobie

           15 – John King

           24 – 6 pm. CHRISTMAS EVE – Rev. Murray McColl

           29 – Rev. Dr. Mary Anne MacFarlane

 Sunday, Sept. 2, 2018
Henry's Bench
Henry Wagner Memorial Bench

 “The Last Supper”

Special Presentation

Carole Anne Wilson presents “The Last Supper” needlework picture made by her in memory of her mother Ellen Stone to Kathy Northey and Worship Leader John King Sun. July 8, 2018

 

152 Anniversary Service – Sunday, June 3, 2018

152 Anniversary
152 Anniversary

John King led us in a wonderful time of praise and worship followed by a pot luck lunch.  As usual, the food was terrific and the conversation lively.  Thanks to all who helped make the day a success.

In these days of decreased attendance in all churches we thank God that there are still those “seeking God where He may be found”. (Is.  55:6)

Choir Practice

Choir Practice Thursdays at 3:00 pm. New voices always welcome!
Call Marie Watson 705-656-4597
 
 Trinity Band
meets Fridays from 3-4 pm. in the church hall and play during worship on a regular basis. New Student always welcome- Call Del Manary 705-656-1137.
2017 walk for the cure
2017 Walk for the Cure

United Church Women

Meet the 2nd Thursday of each month April – December at 1:30 pm. in the Church Hall.  

On Saturday, Oct. 30 some of us walked in the Canadian Breast Cancer Walk for the Cure and were treated to muffins and coffee provided by the UCW on our return.

 Our History

baptism-3-generations

Trinity has its origins in the Methodist Church. The history of the Methodist Church dates back to very early pioneer days when Apsley was known as the Burleigh Road Settlement and the church was known as the Burleigh Road Mission.  Prior to 1865 a monthly service was conducted by the Methodist minister from Lakefield, but in 1866 the first church building, a Methodist church, was built in the area and was known as the Young Church or the White Church.  People in the southern part of the area continued to meet at the old McIlmoyl School.
In 1895 the Young/White Church and the McIlmoyl congregations united and met together in the Temperance Hall until the Apsley Methodist Church was built on the hill in 1901.  This building ably served the area until it was replaced in 1974.   Apartments now stand on the old church site.  The staircase from the road is still in use.
When the Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists joined to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, the two churches in Apsley (Methodist and Presbyterian) became Trinity United.  The Apsley Circuit consisted of three churches:  Eden of Woodview, Trinity of Apsley and Grace of Lasswade.A general re-organization and re-alignment in 1966 saw Grace and Trinity become one with Eden joining them for winter months.  Eden remained open for the spring and summer until 1990 when it closed its doors. In 1969 the Apsley Pastoral Charge was dissolved and was re-aligned with Cardiff United Church and St. Mark’s United Church in Paudash to become the Apsley-Cardiff-Paudash Pastoral Charge.
Construction of Trinity United as we know it began in 1973 with the official opening taking place on May 19, 1974.
Thanks to the Unified Board members, the organist and choir members, the men and women of the church and all the people of the community working together, we have made this church a caring, sharing place in our midst.  We rejoice and give thanks for such a wonderful building to worship in each Sunday.
To paraphrase the popular hymn, the faith of our fathers is living still in this small community.  Trinity is a warm and welcoming church where we can continue to worship the God of our Forefathers – men and women who physically and spiritually blazed a trail for us to follow- who had a vision that is as clear to us today.  Praise be to God.

 Our People

choir
Our Choir
We are faithfully served by  Licensed Lay Worship Leaders, congregational lay worship leaders and supply ministry.
We enjoy working together as we meet as a church board, maintain our property and buildings, worship together and eat together at our many pot lucks during the year.

Trinity South

Whether we are in Apsley or Florida we enjoy getting together.

Our Activities

The Choir practices Thursdays at 3:00 pm.  New members always welcome.
Our United Church Women  meet the 2nd Thursday of each month April to December to plan upcoming events, participate in a short time of devotion and programme always followed by “goodies”.  New members are always welcome.  
Our outreach projects:
  • Apsley Food Foodshare
  • Catering for Funeral Receptions, Anniversaries etc.
  • Cameron House Women’s Shelter in Peterborough – collection box in church Narthex for personal care items.
  • Apsley Community Care
  • Community Christmas Food Hampers
  • Emergency Relief in the community
  • Hall rental
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • United Church Mission and Service Fund
  • Camp Quin-Mo-Lac
  • Cards of sympathy, get well, congratulations sent to Apsley area residents
    United Church Bursary Fund
Trinity Band is a group of young musicians from Apsley Central Public School who practice at Trinity once a week and play during worship about once a month.

149-anniversary-speaker-band

Our 149th Anniversary – speaker Rev. Allen Reeve and Trinity Band
 Annual Dinner/Concert Fundraiser held in August each year.  As part of our community outreach the meal is prepared, served and cleaned up with the assistance of students to obtain Volunteer Hours.
firefly-band
Fundraising dinner and concert with the Firefly Band

150th Anniversary Sunday

June 5th, 2016  was the most wonderful day!   Our little country church’s congregation celebrated 150 years of Christian worship in this area, starting in 1866 in a building  on Balmer Road near the crypt, and journeying through the ages to “the church on the hill” which was built in 1902.    The “new” church was built and dedicated in 1974, and many of us were there for the official bricklaying and the first service.
We had a special service  at 3 p.m. led by Del Manary.   Several past ministers:  Rev. Peter Robinson, Rev. Don Green, Rev. Joan Hacock and pulpit supply:  Rev. Bobby Fillier, Rev. Murray McColl, John King and Wendy Lavalley joined our celebration.  Chair of Shining Waters Presbytery, Larry Breckenridge, brought greetings  and best wishes.
image5
150th Anniversary – the Choir, former ministers and worship leaders.
We honoured our saints of the past…those people who have gone on ahead but left behind a legacy we are so proud of.  The “roll” was read by Doug Reynolds and Deanna Wagner and a remembrance candle was lit.
We also honoured a saint in our church who is the backbone of our everyday operations.  Marie Watson has been organist and music leader here for 65 years, and her efforts were acknowledged with a beautiful framed certificate and a bouquet of flowers.
The choir sang two beautiful anthems.  Their rendition of “Nothing is Impossible” brought tears to many an eye.
A special thank you Kathy Northey who worked so hard to plan and organize this event but was prevented from taking part due to health reasons.
Our guest speaker, Rev. Dr. Aruna Alexander, started her ministry here in Apsley in 1988, and it was wonderful to have her here to lead our celebratory worship.  She challenged us to look to our future, see what we can still do here in Apsley, and plan our way forward.  Our light is still bright, so let it shine.
Her husband, David, an artist, presented us with a beautiful painting to commemorate our anniversary.
Dinner, prepared and served by our UCW ladies in the church hall was lovely and everyone enjoyed a wonderful time of fellowship. where old friendships were renewed, and new friendships made.

Remembering the Past….

image20
Jr. Choir – in the 1950’s

 

image15
The Choir circa 2004